You’ve come this far—you’ve gotten accepted to USC! I’m sure the first thing on your mind now is tips on how to challenge you to ultimately the fullest extent during your four years as a Trojan. Ok, ok, maybe researching Honors Programs at USC isn’t the thing that is first your to-do list (you’re busy applying for housing and ordering football tickets, right?) So, we thought we would bring the given information for your requirements! Here you will find the details on two honors choices at USC: Freshman Science Honors and Thematic choice.
The Freshman Science Honors Program, or FSH, offers a rigorous yet experience that is personalized first 12 months students within the natural sciences. In the place of taking the most common freshmen 12 months technology courses, FSH pupils simply take an advanced version of these classes that have both a smaller lecture and conversation section. This fosters a more experience that is hands-on labs, more individualized attention from faculty, and a more collaborative environment amongst FSH Scholars. FSH also expands beyond the classroom, supplying opportunities for industry trips, guest lectures, etc.
Austin Carter, a sophomore majoring in Biological Sciences, took part in FSH and says he initially applied because he ‘was excited about using a smaller group of people’ and ‘thrives off collaboration.’ He definitely found that teamwork through FSH: ‘Through collaborating on labs or studying for tests, our work that is hard brought together.’ He also notes that a study trip to Catalina ‘offered an opportunity to really get to understand each other outside the classroom setting.’ To learn more, including how to apply, please visit make an application for FSH . Please note that the 2013 due date is April tenth, and to be eligible, you must be a declared natural science major.
Thematic Option, or TO because it is described on campus, is just a system that replaces USC’s General Education curriculum having an core curriculum that is interdisciplinary. While not a humanities program per say, TO is very learning and writing intensive, so students applying to this scheduled program should be ready for this type of rigor. This program is probably not for you if you don’t LOVE reading and writing. Like FSH, TO provides students with a smaller learning environment which allows for greater interaction amongst students and faculty.
Aaron Brown, Associate Director of Admission, participated in TO when he was a student at USC. Aaron says that TO ‘became a way that is great shrink this big institution up to a more manageable size’ and says it provided him with a fantastic community of like-minded pupils. Aaron says his favorite TO course ended up being Core 102 that he took his first semester of college themed ‘The Hero’s Journey.’ He says one instance that stands out is as soon as the class spent an entire period discussing just two paragraphs of Heart of Darkness. Aaron claims it was a ‘wow, this is college’ moment for him. Aaron also got a trip to Disneyland out from the experience during his Core 101 course whenever they were studying Mickey Mouse as a cultural icon. He notes that as a freshman brand new to LA, ‘these were invaluable opportunities to explore this great city.’
To find out more on how to apply, please visit deciding on Thematic Option . Please note that only admitted pupils qualify to utilize and also the due date is 10th april.
These are just two of the options that are many have for pursuing honors at USC. One may also receive departmental honors by completing a thesis that is honors their senior year. Please visit the following links for information on other honors programs at USC: Dornsife Honors Prorgrams, Viterbi Honors, Renaissance Scholars, Global Scholars, Discovery Scholars, McNair Scholars, Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellowship.
Don’t forget that even that you will still be receiving an invigorating and intellectually challenging education at one of the world’s premier research institutions if you do not complete any of the aforementioned programs during your time at USC, rest assured. Fight on!
I Like LA!
In the next couple months, recently admitted pupils, along with big waves of prospective students on the spring breaks, will be visiting our campus. Because Mid-March through April is our time that is busiest for visitors, visitors should make their reservations early. Please click on the after helpful links for information about how to register for the campus see:
We’ve invested the last few months reading thousands of files, so we have been primed for some student interaction https://shmoop.pro/as-you-like-it-by-william-shakespeare-historical-context/ and we are excited to satisfy every body! While I’m sure there will be plenty happening on campus, I wanted to highlight several things about this stunning town that I really like. I’ve been residing in la for the last 9 years and you can still find things I haven’t done, but it is a personal ‘Must See’ list that I’ve compiled for LA visitors. I hope you enjoy!
1) Let’s Take A Ride: For my commute that is everyday just take the Metro Expo Line to get results. Since its opening in Spring 2012, USC students have already been able to simply take this train to Culver City in West LA or to Downtown. I invite you to accomplish the same! Culver City is a place that is great restaurants, museums and theaters. If you ride the Expo Line heading in the opposing way, you’ll be able to to take pleasure from LA Live- home of the Nokia Theatre, the GRAMMY museum and several more restaurants. Right door that is next The Staples Center, where the Lakers play ( and some other NBA group that no one caresabout). After that, you can feel free to explore the remainder of Downtown LA and all sorts of it has to offer! There are three stops near our campus therefore it is really accessible. The fare is cheapand it takes 20 minutes or less getting to either destination. Talk of a way that is great avoid traffic!
2) Why see the global globe, when you’ve got the BEACH!: I possibly couldn’t have a ‘Must See’ list about LA without mentioning the beach! Venice is always popular with our visitors as a result of all of the social people watching you can certainly do. I prefer less beaches that are crowded Playa or Santa Monica, but whatever perhaps you are into the mood for, you can’t visit LA without hitting the waves!
3) pay attention!: our thing that is favorite Los Angeles is the quantity and variety of live music you can expose yourself to. We love going to big concerts at my venue that is favorite Greek Theatre, to view musicians like Jason Mraz or Phoenix. If I would like to select one thing more intimate, I’m able to always check out up and coming singer/songwriters at places like Room 5 or The Witzend.
4) an increased Rested Place: I had beenn’t going to consist of restaurants in this post, but this is a new favorite, so I had to create an exception. Perch restaurant is a French inspired bistro located in the heart of downtown la. It bears its name mostly because it sits on a rooftop and gives you an unobstructed 360 degree view regarding the city. I highly suggest using your household right here for Sunday brunch with some real time music
5) A Lesson ever sold: Olvera Street could be the earliest component associated with town. Simply take the Expo Line from campus and then the line that is connecting Union Station. In about 50 % an hour, you can expect to find yourself surrounded by historic buildings and a traditional Mexican style plaza with plenty of places to consume and shop. Invest a couple of hours appreciating the architectural artistry and studying its traditions.
I hope some of you reach visit some of those places and inform us just what you might think if you do!